How to make automatic cat feeder at home? Learn how to make automatic cat feeder at home with this easy and simple tutorial. If you have a cat, then you know how much of a hassle it can be to feed them. Sometimes they don’t eat enough. Sometimes they eat too much. Some foods are expensive and some foods are not as nutritious, etcetera. The best thing to do for your furry friend is to make an automatic cat feeder at home. Thankfully this doesn’t need to be difficult or time-consuming! Follow these instructions and you’ll have a homemade cat feeder in no time!
Learn how an automatic cat feeder works in this step-by-step guide.
Steps to make the feeder
1. Take a square cardboard box and cut the top off so it resembles a cube.
2. Make sure there is enough room at the bottom of the box for the food to fit comfortably inside.
3. Cut out some holes on each side of the box, about 2 inches below where you cut off the top, to make openings for food to enter into.
4. Place your cat’s dry food in the bottom of the box with small holes leading up to it like in step 3.
5. Place water in an old plastic container (a large yogurt container works well).
6. Place this container over top of your cat’s dry food and make sure there are no holes or spaces between them so that when you pour water, it will go straight down into the dry food hole like an upside-down funnel with water coming out of it!
7. Put this contraption on top of your cat’s dry food (you may want to place something under it first) and fill up your plastic container with water until it reaches just above where your cat’s meal is sitting then let go! The water will pour down into your cat’s meal and wet their food!
8. Place anything you can find at home that is flat on top of this contraption so that if your cat knocks it over, nothing spills out! You may want to put something heavy on there too so that way cats cannot knock this thing over easily!
Materials and tools
For the feeder, you’ll need:
-An old jar or plastic container
-Vinyl cutter or sharp knife
-2 Hooks (The kind you use for hanging pictures)
-A drill with small drill bit
-2 Eye screws (The kind you use for hanging pictures)
-1/4″ drill bit
-Wooden board (any size will do, but make sure it’s at least 2 inches wider than your jar)
For the bowl, you’ll need:
-A ceramic dish that’s large enough to hold one serving of food (You can buy these at most pet stores or any store with a kitchen section)
-Vinyl cutter or sharp knife
Design and construction
To make your automatic cat feeder, you’ll need:
– A plastic container of some sort, such as a salad container. Make sure it has a lid which seals tightly.
– A power strip or extension cord with an on/off switch
– A timer that plugs into the power strip or extension cord and has an alarm function
– A drill and drill bit for drilling large holes in the bottom of the container
– A small piece of wood (or anything else heavy which can fit inside) to use as a weight to push food down
– Some wide masking tape and/or duct tape
Connecting and programming
To build your feeder, you’ll need to connect the cereal dispenser. The instructions are listed below.
1) Thread the metal rod through the center of the cereal dispenser spindle.
2) Make sure the rod is threaded so that it will not slip out of place when turning it. The two round holes should correspond with each other on both sides of the cereal dispenser.
3) Tighten the nut on either side of the spindle to hold it in place.
4) To make this project easier, attach a second nut and bolt to one side of the spindle and tighten them down to hold everything in place while you work on programming your feeder.
Why should you make an automatic cat feeder at home?
Some days you’re just too busy to feed your cat. Other days, you’re not home at all. Whether it’s for work or travel, sometimes you can’t be around to give your cat food when they need it. That’s why making an automatic cat feeder is so beneficial!
1) It makes life easier
2) It saves money
3) It keeps your kitty healthy
4) It keeps the mess down
5) You spend less time feeding your cat
6) You can use it as a way to train your cat
How to Make the Cat Feeder
The first thing you want to do is find a container that is at least 1/2 gallon. One of the most popular containers to use is an old 2-liter soda bottle. You may also use a clean bucket or something else. You’ll need to drill 3-4 holes in the bottom of the container, which will allow for water drainage. Next, you’ll want to place your food in some type of mesh bag.
Next, put your cat’s food on one side of the mesh bag and fill up the rest with water until it’s submerged. Put your mesh bag into your container then tie off the top with a knot or by securing it with tape so that none of the food escapes through the holes in the bottom of the tray. Place this on a counter high up on one side so that gravity will help move things down as time goes on. It can take anywhere from 3 hours to 18 hours for your cat’s food to completely drain out, depending on what you feed them and how much they eat!
Testing the Feeder
It takes a few days to make an automatic feeder, but it’s worth it when you get to test the feeder afterwards. Consider how much food your cat needs in a day and set up the feeder accordingly. For example, if your cat eats 1/4 cup of food each day, then you’ll need a container that holds 4 cups of food. Fill it with dry food and turn on the feeder! Leave for a few hours and see what happens. Your cat should eat enough food in that time period. If they don’t, then adjust the time or split the food into smaller portions. If you’re using wet food, add water before filling the container with wet food so it doesn’t dry out too quickly after being opened.
The way we feed pets is changing, and when it comes to cats, more and more pet owners are looking for ways to automate the process. One way to do this is by using an automatic cat feeder, and in this tutorial we will show you how to make one at home.